Indian Wells, Calif.- Cal State Fullerton women's tennis enters the 2019 Big West Women's Tennis Championship as the No. 2 seed, and will play seventh-seed CSUN at 11:30 a.m., Friday, in quarterfinal action at Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, Calif.
The Titans finished the regular season tied second with Long Beach state in the Big West standings. The team was awarded the second seed as they were able to win against Long Beach during the regular season.
It is the first time in the program history, that Cal State Fullerton enters the Big West Championship as No.2 seed.
It is the fourth consecutive year that the Titans and the Matadors meet in Quarterfinal action. In 2016, the No. 3 Titans suffered a 4-3 loss to the No. 6 Matadors in the quarterfinal. In 2017, the Titans rallied for a 4-3 win over CSUN to advance to the program's first-ever Semifinal match. The Titans made it two in row with a 4-0 win in last year's Quarterfinals.
CSUN's overall record is 14-5 (3-5 Big West) this season. The Matadors was one of the only two Big West teams to beat the Titans this season. Fullerton went down 3-4 as they traveled to CSUN on March 16th.
Once again, the No.1 seed is UC Santa Barbara as they clinched their second straight women's tennis regular season title with a 7-1 record. It is the fourth season in a row that the Gauchos have finished the season with a 7-1 record.
If the Titans win this Friday, they will advance to play the winner of No.3 Long Beach vs. No.6 Cal Poly at 9:30am on Saturday in the semifinals.
BIG WEST CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY
The Titans' No. 2 seed at the Big West Championship is the highest ever in program history. Previously, Cal State Fullerton was No.3 seed 2016 and 2018.
- Fullerton holds an overall record of 21-39 dating back to 1989 at the Big West Championships.
- In quarterfinal action, the Titans hold a record of 2-16, advancing to the semifinal for the first time in 2017.
- The Titans and Matadors have played each other four times at the Big West Tennis Championship, with CSUN (9) defeating Fullerton (8), 5-2, in the first round in 2004, and the No. 6 Matadors scoring the 4-3 upset win over the No. 3 Titans in 2016. 2017 is the year Fullerton came back with a 4-3 win to advance to the semifinal. In 2018, the Titans dominated the Matadors 4-0 in Quarterfinals.
- The Titans' best finish at the Big West Championship was in 2018. Fullerton ended its season as a runner-up as they came too short against Hawai'i in the Championship match 2-4.
- Dating back to 1989 when the Big West Tournament was seeded, the lowest seed to win the championship was No. 7 Pacific in 2000.
- Long Beach State has won the tournament on 12 occasions dating back to its first title in 2002 entering as the No. 2 seed. The 49ers have won the championship seven times as the No. 1 seed. Current conference members UC Irvine (1), Cal Poly (1), Hawai'I (1) and UC Santa Barbara (8) are the only additional programs to have won the tournament.
-Indian Wells Tennis Garden is hosting the Big West Men's and Women's Tennis Championship for the 16th consecutive year.
CATCH ALL THE ACTION
Keep up with the Titans and follow along with live stats on Twitter, @FullertonWTEN.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at email@example.com. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titan Athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook/FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's tennis team has its own Twitter (@FullertonWTEN) and Instagram accounts (@FullertonWTEN).