FULLERTON, Calif. – Cal State Fullerton women's soccer returns home after a weekend on the road to face No. 17 Auburn on Friday night and then Fresno State on Sunday. Both Friday and Sunday are doubleheaders with the men's soccer team. The women's match is the second game on Friday, set to start at 7:30 p.m. PT while on Sunday the women play first at 4 p.m. Friday's kickoff time against Auburn is subject to change as that match is the second of a doubleheader at Titan Stadium. If it is after 7:30, it will start 30 minutes after the end of the men's game.
• Senior Nano Oronoz and freshman Kristen Swales sit at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, for the Big West Conference in goals scored on the year. Oronoz bagged a hat trick and Swales pumped in two goals of her own against St. Mary's (Aug. 19).
• The Titans are fourth in the league in shots per game at 11.50 and second in goals per game at 1.50.
• Facing a ranked foe for the first time this season, the Titans were 0-2-1 against top-25 opponents last season.
• In 2017, Cal State Fullerton qualified for the Big West Conference Tournament for the sixth year in a row, a conference record.
OPPONENT AND HISTORY
Aug. 31, 2018 vs. No. 17 Auburn | Titan Stadium | 7:30 p.m. PT
The Titans will look to hand the Auburn Tigers their first blemish to their 4-0-0 record. Auburn is second in the country in total goals with 16 on the year and first in assists per game at 5.25.
Auburn has only allowed two goals in the four games it has played thus far this season.
The last time the Titans and Tigers met was at Auburn in 2016 and the Tigers were victorious by a score of 2-0. Overall, Auburn leads the all-time series 1-2, with CSF earning a win in double overtime in 2005.
Sep. 2, 2018 vs. Fresno State | Titan Stadium| 4:00 p.m. PT
The Bulldogs boast a 1-1-1 record on the year. They opened the season with a win against Montana, then fell to Drake and drew with Sacramento State.
Tori Nicolo leads the team in goals with three on the year.
Last time out against the Bulldogs was on Aug. 20, 2017 when CSF won 2-1in Fresno. The Titans lead the all-time series 7-3 and have won each of the last five matches.
SENIOR SPOTLIGHT - THE FEW, THE PROUD
After having nine seniors on the squad last year, all of which contributed to the 2017 Big West Tournament title, this year's squad has just four seniors.
• A jack-of-all-trades for the Titans and preseason All-Big West honoree Nano Oronoz has played 61 matches for the Titans and started 39 of them. She bagged a hat trick against St. Mary's on Aug. 19, becoming the first Titan to achieve that feat since 2015. She has six goals and five assists for her career.
• Defender Amanda Larsson has taken the field 49 times for Fullerton, including 27 career starts. Through four matches this season, she has logged the third-most minutes among all players on the team at 353 of a total 386 minutes.
• Midfielder Alba Barrios has played 51 career games in a Titan uniform, including 14 last year with 11 starts. She has scored two goals for her career, both coming as a freshman.
• Midfielder Jessica Simonian is redshirting the 2018 season so she will be back for the 2019 season. She has started 54 games in her time at Fullerton with 43 starts. She has tallied two goals and seven assists over the last three years.
WELCOME TO ATLANTA
Junior forward Atlanta Primus, a London, England native, is tied for third in the conference in assists through two matches after she dished out two against St. Mary's on Aug. 19. Primus set up Nano Oronoz on two of her three goals against the Gaels with two sublime passes. She has scored seven goals and dished out now 10 assists in her career. She is four assists away from being tied for 10th all-time in career assists. The preseason All-Big West honoree led the team in 2017 with 20 points (six goals, eight assists).
SANDERS FILLS VOID
Head coach Demian Brown had a hole to fill in the goal left by (now undergrad assistant coach) Morgan Bertsch who was a 2017 first-team all-conference honoree and 2017 Co-Big West Goalkeeper of the Year. In stepped sophomore Tianna Sanders who had an outstanding opening weekend. She recorded 11 saves against BYU on Aug. 17 and was a brick wall for the Titans. She currently leads the league in saves with 20 total and five per game.
COACH HITS TRIPLE DIGITS
With the win against CSUN on Oct. 1, 2017, head coach Demian Brown notched his 100th-career win. Over his 11 years as head coach, Brown has steered the Titans to four Big West regular season championships (2007, 2012, 2014, 2015) and five Big West Tournament championships (2007, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017) representing the league as the Big West's automatic qualifier at the NCAA Tournament for four of the last six years (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017) in addition to the Titans' postseason trip in 2007.
Sophomore Samantha McKenna is the team's No. 10 in jersey number and positionally as she plays as an attacking midfielder. She hails from Lakeside and is primed to build on a strong freshman campaign. McKenna was named to the 2017 Big West All-Freshman team as she recorded three goals and three assists.
NEXT IN LINE
The 2017 Titans featured seniors such as Samantha Koemans (five goals, five assists) Kaycee Hoover (five goals, two assists), Tala Haddad (three goals, three assists), Maribell Morales (three goals, one assist), Connie Caliz (two goals, one assist), all of which played at least 20 of the 22 games for the Titans and over 1,000 minutes. The 2018 squad will have to step into new roles and replace their productivity but Brown feels the team is capable and excited for the challenge.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titan Athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook/FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's soccer team has established its own Facebook (Facebook/Cal-State-Fullerton-Womens-Soccer), Twitter (@CSUF_WSoccer) and Instagram accounts (@csufwomensoccer).