Fullerton Hosts Rival Long Beach State on Tuesday
FULLERTON, Calif. – The Titans will finish off their three-match homestand vs. Big West rival Long Beach State, Tuesday at 7 pm PT inside Titan Gym before heading to the Big Island to play Hawai'i on Saturday at 10 pm PT.
The Titans suffered dropped a couple of Big West contests last week, but both easily could have been wins. They played UC Irvine all the way until the end on Friday, dropping a 3-1 contest. Fullerton held match point before eventually dropping a heartbreaking 3-2 decision to UC Davis on Saturday.
Tickets for all Titans home games can be purchased online at FullertonTitans.com, or at the Cal State Fullerton Athletics Ticket Office, located in the Titan House on campus off of Gymnasium Drive on the northeast side of Titan Gym. Game day sales and will call tickets will open one hour prior to the scheduled time at the specific venue. All Cal State Fullerton students with a school ID get free admission.
FOLLOW THE TITANS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titan Athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook/FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) Instagram (FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the volleyball team has established its own Twitter (@FullertonVB) and Instagram accounts (Titans_VB).
CATCH THE TITANS
Cal State Fullerton home volleyball matches will be broadcast live over the internet at FullertonTitans.com. The Titans also offer live streaming video for home volleyball matches courtesy of Big West TV. Fans can catch all the exclusive action from the comfort of their home computers. To access the links, click on the audio or live video links on the schedule page.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 17 VS. LONG BEACH STATE || 7:00 PM
Cal State Fullerton vs. Long Beach State
Series Record: Long Beach State leads 5-70
Home Record: 4-34
Away Record: 1-36
Neutral Record: N/A
Overall Conference Record: 5-69
WCAA Record: 4-6
PCAA Record: 0-6
Big West Record: 1-57
Current Streak: Lost 9
First Meeting: 10/10/80 at LBSU, L, 3-0
Last Meeting: 11/18/17 at LBSU, L, 3-0
LONG BEACH STATE NOTES (5-15, 2-5 Big West)
• The 49ers enter the match with a 5-15 record and 2-5 league mark, while they currently sit in seventh place in the Big West. LBSU ranks third in the league in total attacks (2,584), second in block assists (279), total blocks (175) and blocks per set (2.30).
• Megan Kruidhof ranks fifth in the league in kills (255), while Hailey Harward is fifth in digs per set (3.97) and third in overall digs (302). Kjersti Norveel is second in the Big West in blocks per set (1.07)
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21 at Hawai'i| 10:00 PM
Cal State Fullerton at Hawai'i
Series Record: Hawai'i leads 38-0
Home Record: 0-21
Away Record: 0-15
Neutral Record: 0-2
Overall Conference Record: 0-33
PCAA Record: 0-6
Big West Record: 0-27
Current Streak: Lost 38
First Meeting: 11/05/82 vs. Hawai'i, L, 2-0
Last Meeting: 09/29/17 vs. Hawai'i, L, 3-0
• Hawai'i comes into Saturday's match 7-1 in Big West play and 13-6 overall, just a half game out of first place. It claimed the conference crown a year ago and was picked to win it again this year according to the preseason poll. Hawai'I ranks third in the league in kills (964), third in attack percentage (.249), second in assists (896), third in service aces (112), third in services aces per set (1.51), tied for first in solo blocks (43), first in block assists (295), first in total blocks (191), first in blocks per set (2.57) and second in total points (1,275.5).
• McKenna Granato ranks fourth in the league in kills per set (4.07) and third overall kills (293). Emily Maglio leads the Big West in blocks per set (1.54), while she's sporting .380 hitting percentage, good for second in the league.
• Cal State Fullerton already has four wins this season after securing just six last year after going winless in 2015.
• In their wins, the Titans haven't messed around, as three of their four victories have been three set sweeps, with the other one going just four sets.
• Fullerton has battled all season long, but have gotten unlucky when it comes to rallies. The Titans are 0-5 in five-set matches so far, while they've dropped the first two sets and have rallied to win the third and fourth set in three of those contests.
• Madeline Schneider leads the team 11 double-digit kill performances with a team best 241 kills and 3.26 kills per set. She ranks second on the team with seven double-doubles.
Freshman libero Savahna Costello has done it all defensively for the Titans this year. She leads the squad in service aces (21), total digs (270) and digs per set (3.86). Her digs rank eighth in the league. She was named to All-Tournament Teams in back-to-back weekends. She was awarded Towson Tiger Invitational honors, eventually leading to Big West Freshman of the Week honors on Sept. 11. She was also named to the Indiana State All-Tournament Team.
AN OFFENSIVE THREAT
Madeline Schneider's 241 total kills rank sixth in the Big West, while her 3.26 kills per set is 10th best in the league.
CAREER NIGHT FOR SCHNEIDER…AGAIN
Just a week after setting a new career high for kills in a match, she did it again, this time vs. conference foe UC Davis. She recorded 26 kills on a .371 attack percentage to go along with 12 digs. It marked her seventh double-double of the season.
Despite a 3-1 defeat at the hands of CSU Bakersfield on Oct. 3, Madeline Schneider stole the show, recording a new career-high 25 kills in the match on a .368 hitting percentage. She also produced 12 digs, marking her sixth double-double of the season.
HOME SWEET HOME
The Titans recently ended a brutal stretch, where Fullerton played eight of nine contests away from Titan Gym. Fullerton is now in the middle of a stretch that sees the Titans playing six of eight contests at home. Tuesday is the final game of a three-match homestand.
The wins may not always be there, but the Titans refuse to give up. Fullerton owns an 12-16 record in sets three and four as opposed to a 15-30 mark in all other sets.
HAPPY TO HELP
Nastassja Bowman leads all Titans with 559 assists and 7.55 assists per set. She also leads the squad in double-doubles with eight. Her 7.55 assists per set rank eighth in the league.