Titans Begin Big West Play on Tuesday
FULLERTON, Calif. - The Titans are set to begin Big West play beginning with CSUN, Tuesday at 7 pm PT inside Titan Gym. Fullerton will then finish off the week with a trip to Cal Poly on Friday at 7 pm PT inside Mott Gym, while it'll conclude the weekend at UC Santa Barbara at 7 pm PT on Saturday inside the Thunderdome.
Cal State Fullerton dropped a pair of matches on the road last week with the first coming against Indiana State in a tough five-set affair. The Titans rallied in dramatic fashion to force a fifth set against Indiana State after dropping the first two, but couldn't quite get over the hump. The Titans then fell to Eastern Illinois in straight sets.
Tickets for all Titans home games can be purchased online at FullertonTitans.com, or at the Cal State Fullerton Athletics Ticket Office, located in the Titan House on campus off of Gymnasium Drive on the northeast side of Titan Gym. Game day sales and will call tickets will open one hour prior to the scheduled time at the specific venue. All Cal State Fullerton students with a school ID get free admission.
FOLLOW THE TITANS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titan Athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook/FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) Instagram (FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the volleyball team has established its own Twitter (@FullertonVB) and Instagram accounts (Titans_VB).
CATCH THE TITANS
Cal State Fullerton home volleyball matches will be broadcast live over the internet at FullertonTitans.com. The Titans also offer live streaming video for home volleyball matches courtesy of Big West TV. Fans can catch all the exclusive action from the comfort of their home computers. To access the links, click on the audio or live video links on the schedule page.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19 VS. CSUN || 7:00 PM
CSUN at Cal State Fullerton
Series Record: CSUN leads 11-33
Home Record: 8-14
Away Record: 3-18
Neutral Record: 0-1
Overall Conference Record: 7-26
Big West Record: 7-26
Current Streak: Lost 12
First Meeting: 11/16/80 at CSUN, L, 3-0
Last Meeting: 11/19/17 at CSUN, L, 3-1
• The Matadors enter league play with a 6-6 overall record and a two game over the Titans for sixth place. CSUN currently has a 590-514 advantage in kills over the Titans, it also has a 542-476 advantage in terms of assists. They rank third in the league services aces and kills, while they lead the league in total blocks.
• Aeryn Owens leads the Big West in total kills (205) and ranks third in kills per set (4.56)
• CSUN was picked to finish seventh in the Big West preseason poll.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 22 AT CAL POLY || 7:00 PM
Cal State Fullerton at Cal Poly
Series Record: Cal Poly leads 52-10
Home Record: 7-22
Away Record: 3-25
Neutral Record: 0-5
Overall Conference Record: 10-42
PCAA Record: 0-6
Big West Record: 10-36
Current Streak: Lost 4
First Meeting: 09/17/81 vs. Cal Poly, L, 2-0
Last Meeting: 11/12/17 at Cal Poly, L, 3-0
CAL POLY NOTES
• Cal Poly enters league play at 10-2 and in second place in the conference.
• The Mustangs lead the league in kills per set (15.53), attack percentage (.306), assists per set (14.45) and points per set (18.8)
• Torrey Van Winden ranks second in the Big West in kills per set (4.97) and overall kills (189), while Savannah Niemen leads the league in hitting percentage (.439) and assists per set (12.13)
• The Mustangs were picked to finish second in the league according to the Big West preseason poll.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23 AT UC SANTA BARBARA || 7:00 PM
Cal State Fullerton at UC Santa Barbara
Series Record: UCSB leads 8-65
Home Record: 4-32
Away Record: 4-30
Neutral Record: 0-3
Overall Conference Record: 8-56
PCAA Record: 0-6
Big West Record: 8-50
Current Streak: Lost 9
First Meeting: 10/01/82 at UCSB, L, 3-0
Last Meeting: 11/11/17 at UCSB, L, 3-1
UC SANTA BARBARA NOTES
• UC Santa Barbara enters league play at 1-11 and in last place in the Big West
• The Gauchos dropped 11 straight to begin the season before defeating Eastern Kentucky 3-1 last weekend.
• UCSB was picked to finish fourth in the league according to the Big West preseason poll.
• Cal State Fullerton already has four wins this season after securing just six last year after going winless in 2015.
• In their wins, the Titans haven't messed around, as three of their four victories have been three set sweeps, with the other one going just four sets.
• Fullerton has battled all season long, but have gotten unlucky when it comes to rallies. The Titans are 0-4 in five-set matches so far, while they've dropped the first two sets and have rallied to win the third and fourth set in three of those contests.
• The Titans are often battling from behind with a 5-23 record in the first set this season and a 2-21 mark after a first-set loss.
• Madeline Schneider leads the team eight double-digit kill performances with a team best 151 kills and 3.28 kills per set. She ranks second on the team with five double-doubles.
Freshman libero Savahna Costello has done it all defensively for the Titans this year. She leads the squad in service aces (15), total digs (196) and digs per set (4.45). Her digs and digs per set both rank third in the conference. She was named to All-Tournament Teams in back-to-back weekends. She was awarded Towson Tiger Invitational honors, eventually leading to Big West Freshman of the Week honors on Sept. 11. She was also named to the Indiana State All-Tournament Team.
The Titans will end a brutal stretch this weekend, where Fullerton is playing eight of nine contests away from Titan Gym. The Titans' Tuesday matchup with CSUN is their only home match during that span.
The wins may not always be there, but the Titans refuse to give up. Fullerton owns an 11-7 record in sets three and four as opposed to just a 10-14 mark in sets one and two.
HAPPY TO HELP
Nastassja Bowman leads all Titans with 340 assists and 7.39 assists per set. She also leads the squad in double-doubles with six. Her 7.39 assists per set rank eighth in the league.