Volleyball Stays Local for Big West Road Matches
THE WEEK AHEAD: Fullerton will have a full weekend docket on the road with long-standing nemesis Long Beach State (9-9, 2-3) and UC Irvine (9-10, 0-5). Both games will begin at 7 p.m.
FRIDAY, OCT 18: at Long Beach State (Walter Pyramid), 7 p.m.
Cal State Fullerton (9-7, 2-2) at Long Beach State (9-9, 2-3)
Series Record: Long Beach State leads 62-5 (since 1980)
Big West Record: Long beach Leads 49-1
First Meeting: Lost, 4-15, 5-15, 12-15 at Long Beach, Oct. 10, 1980
Last Meeting: Lost, 19-25, 27-25, 21-25, 20-25, at Long Beach, Nov. 8, 2012
Current Streak: Lost 1
Last 10 Meetings: 1-9
Live Audio • Live Stats
SATURDAY, OCT. 19: at UC Irvine (Bren Center), 7 p.m.
Cal State Fullerton (9-7, 2-2) at UC Irvine (9-10, 0-5)
Series Record: Irvine leads 35-29
Big West Record: Irvine leads 27-23
First Meeting: Won, 15-8, 15-6, 15-10 (unknown location), Oc.t. 22, 1980
Last Meeting: Won, 25-19, 25-17, 22-25, 25-21, at Irvine, Nov. 10, 2012
Current Streak: Won 6
Last 10 Meetings: 7-3
Live Video • Live Audio • Live Stats
CATCH ALL THE ACTION:
Streaming Video: Steaming video links can be found on the volleyball schedule page at fullertontitans.com (or above in "The Week Ahead" section). The Irvine game is the only scheduled match to be video streamed at this time.
Audio Webcast: Both the games this weekend will have audio streamed online at fullertontitans.com. Links are loaded on the volleyball schedule page (or above in "The Week Ahead" section). Kevin Barbarino will be calling the action.
Live Stats: Links to live stats for both games this weekend can be found on the volleyball schedule page at fullertontitans.com (or above in "The Week Ahead" section).
FOLLOW THE TITANS: Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (CSUF.Athletics), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) and YouTube.com (YouTube.com/csfathletics). In addition, the volleyball team has established its own official Twitter page (@FullertonVB).
TICKETS FOR UPCOMING HOME EVENTS: Tickets can be purchased online at fullertontitans.com, or at the Cal State Fullerton Athletics Ticket Office, located in the Titan House on campus off of Gymnasium Drive on the northeast side of Titan Gym. Game day sales and will call tickets will open an hour prior to the scheduled time at the specific venue.
UPCOMING VOLLEYBALL PROMOTION NIGHTS: Volleyball's Oct. 25 match against Cal Poly (7 p.m.) is Faculty Night. All Cal State Fullerton faculty and staff members will receive two free tickets to the match with the Mustangs. Just show your business card or faculty/staff card at the door to receive your tickets.
The next night, Oct. 26, is Student T-Shirt Giveaway / Movie Night. Cal State Fullerton students attending Saturday night's match against UC Santa Barbara will receive a volleyball t-shirt (while supplies last) courtesy of Titan Athletics. Everyone is welcome to stick around after the match for the playing of a movie on the Titan Gym video board.
LAST WEEKEND: Cal State Fullerton volleyball (9-7, 2-2), is coming off a three-set sweep of UC Riverside that got it back in even standing tied for fourth in Big West Conference action. Behind Bre Moreland's fifth double-double (10kills/10digs) of the year, the Titans dispatched the Highlanders by scores of 25-15, 26-24 and 25-20 and won for the second time in three matches.
A LOOK AT THE WEEK AHEAD:
• The Titans and 49ers have played 67 times since 1980 with Long Beach holding a dominant 62-5 record. Four of Fullerton's five wins over Long Beach State came between 1980-82. Last Oct. 13, the Titans snapped a 30-year, 59-match losing streak to the 49ers in Titan Gym with a 3-1 victory. The streak lasted from Oct. 19, 1983 to Oct. 13, 2012. Fullerton has won one road game (Sept. 29, 1982) against Long Beach, but has never won in the Walter Pyramid.
• Long Beach State has lost three of its last four matches and snapped a sting of three consecutive Big West losses (to Santa Barbara, Cal Poly and Hawaii) with a 3-1 victory over UC Davis last Saturday.
• The Titans head to the Pyramid to face the 49ers this Friday night. The 49ers are just 5-5 in Long Beach this season. The Titans are 4-5 away from Titan Gym (2-3 on the road, 2-2 in neutral sites.
• The 49ers are leading the Big West in blocking, stuffing an average of 2.60 kill attempts each set. Chisom Okpala (80 total and 1.11 per set) and Joy Miley (53 total, 1.04 per set) rank in the league's Top 10, tied for 1st and 5th, respectively.
• The Titans and Anteaters have met 64 times since 1980 with Irvine holding a six-game, 35-29 advantage. Fullerton is currently riding a six-match winning streak over Irvine, with its last loss coming on Nov. 20, 2009. The six-match winning streak is the longest winning streak the Titans have posted against the Anteaters in their head-to-head history.
• UC Irvine comes in tot he week having lost six in a row, five of which have come in conference action. Its first shot to snap the streak this week will be against 8th-place UC Riverside on Friday night. Riverside is just 1-15 on the year.
• UC Irvine is leading the conference in service aces, stymying the opponent with 1.47 aces per set. Cassidy Pickrell (2nd) Shannon Flemming (4th), and Shelly Anderson (6th) pepper the conference's top 10. Pickrell has 19 aces on the year (.39 per set).
• UC Irvine ranks 8th in the nine-team Big West Conference in both attack percentage (.163) and opponent hitting percentage (.269).
• With the 3-0 win over UC Riverside last weekend, the Titans have now beat seven opponents this season by way of the sweep. The 2010 Titans set the school mark when 20 of their school-record 26 victories came via the sweep.
• The Titans 3-0 win over UC Riverside last weekend was their 17th consecutive victory over the Highlanders pushing the all-time series lead to 24-4.
• McKenna Painton recorded her fifth 20-plus dig match of the season last Saturday at Riverside. She leads the Big West and sits 65th in the nation in digs per set (4.61) and sits fifth in the conference in total digs. Painton's 13 aces and 0.28 aces per set ranks her 10th in the league in serving.
• The Titans, as a team, are 6th in the nation in digs per set, averaging 17.63 scoops per set.
• Junior Julie Consani's 1,570 career assists rank seventh all-time at Cal State Fullerton. She sits 202 assists behind No. 6 Jenna Carney, who set for the Titans from 2003-2006. She currently leads the Big West with 10.93 assists per set, with Hawaii's Mita Uiato on her tail at 10.77 per set. Consani's 10.93 digs per set ranks her 34th in the nation.
• Senior Bre Moreland is 10th in the Big West in kills per set, averaging 3.07 per set. Her current 842 kills sits just 75 outside the Titans' career Top 10. Alex Wolnisty (2006-2009) will be bumped should Moreland get 76 more before season's end.
• Sophomore Holland Crenshaw is the only Titan representing in the Big West's Top 10 in hitting percentage. The 6-foot-3 middle blocker, right-side hitter has posted a .327 average thus far. Three Hawaii volleyballers are on that list led by Jade Vorster who is hitting at a whopping .423 clip on the year.
AWARD SEASON: Senior transfer Alyse Hensley followed up an all-tournament performance at the UNLV Invitational with an MVP effort at the Fullerton Classic. Hensley was named MVP of the tournament after averaging 3.14 kills per set and attacking at a rate of .337. She added a team-leading eight service aces along with 34 digs and nine blocks while totaling back-to-back double-doubles. McKenna Painton was also named to the all-tournament team after averaging 4.31 digs per set and five aces.
At Texas Tech, Bre Moreland was named to the Lone Star Showdown all-tournament team after averaging 3.22 kills and 4.78 digs per set. In addition Paige Reed earned all-tournament honors in Lubbock, Texas, after averaging 4.67 digs per set in the tourney.
2013 BIG WEST PRESEASON POLL: For the second straight year, the University of Hawai'i has been selected as the Big West Conference's top pick in the women's volleyball preseason poll, as selected by the nine league coaches. The Rainbow Wahine were a unanimous favorite, collecting all nine first-place votes en route to an 81-point total. Cal State Fullerton finished in seventh place with 35 points.
CAROLYN ZIMMERMAN: Entering her 12th season at Cal State Fullerton, Carolyn Zimmerman possesses an all-time record of 171-176 (.493). The sixth head coach in Fullerton's 37-year history, she is the winningest (.494) head coach in CSF volleyball program history.