Titans Open Big West Play at No. 6 Hawai'i
No. 6 Hawai'i (11-1) at Cal State Fullerton (7-5)
Stan Sheriff Center | Honolulu
Friday, Sept. 27- 10 p.m. PT
Series Record: Hawai'i leads, 29-0
First Meeting: Nov. 5, 1982, vs. Hawai'i (5-15, 7-15)
Last Meeting: Nov. 21, 2012, at Hawai'i (25-23, 24-25, 20-25, 19-25)
Current Streak: Lost 29 | Last 10 Meetings: 0-10
THE WEEK AHEAD
Cal State Fullerton begins Big West Conference play at No. 6 Hawai'i on Friday with the match scheduled to start at 10 p.m. PT.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (CSUF.Athletics), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) and YouTube.com (YouTube.com/csfathletics). In addition, the volleyball team has established its own official Twitter page (@FullertonVB).
CATCH ALL THE ACTION
Television - Friday's match will be televised on OCSports.
Streaming Video - Streaming video for Friday's match is available at BigWestTV.org.
Audio Webcast - An audio webcast of Friday's match is available online through ESPN 1420 AM.
Live Stats - Live in-game stats for Friday's match are available at www.FullertonTitans.com
Tickets can be purchased online at www.FullertonTitans.com, or at the Cal State Fullerton Athletics Ticket Office, which is located in the Titan House on campus off of Gymnasium Drive on the northeast side of Titan Gym. Game day sales and will call tickets will open an hour prior to the scheduled time at the specific venue.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE WEEK AHEAD
• No. 6 Hawai'i (11-1), the defending 2012 Big West Conference champion, begins defense of its title on Friday, hosting Cal State Fullerton at the Stan Sheriff Center.
• The meeting will be the 30th between the two programs. The Titans have yet to win in the previous 29 meetings.
• The Rainbow Wahine lead the Big West in several categories: hitting percentage (.301), assists per set (13.37) and kills per set (14.65). Jade Vorster (.492) and Kalei Adolpho (.426) lead the conference in attacking percentage, respectively.
• Current Big West Conference Player of the Week Emily Hartong leads the Big West averaging 4.70 kills per set.
• Hawai'i opened the season with a four-set win over defending NCAA national champion Texas. The Rainbow Wahine are on a nine-match winning streak since falling in five sets to San Diego on Sept. 1.
• Fullerton is 0-1 against top-25 competition in 2013. The Titans last defeated a ranked opponent on Sept. 22, 2010, sweeping No. 21 San Diego at Titan Gym.
RECAPPING LAST WEEK
• No. 5 USC's offense was unstoppable last Friday night at the Galen Center as Samantha Bricio's 12-kill performance led the Trojans to a sweep (25-19, 25-16, 25-23) of Cal State Fullerton.
• USC now leads the all-time series 23-0 dating back to 1976. Fullerton was swept for the third time in 2013.
• Fullerton could not get back on the winning track last Sunday as visiting American produced a monster comeback, returning from a two-set deficit to win the match in five.
• Fullerton's 25-9 win in the second set marked the program's largest margin of victory in a set this season, and the largest since a 25-5 win over Presbyterian College on Sept. 3, 2011. Fullerton last blew a two-set lead in a five-set loss at Pacific on Nov. 12, 2011. Bre Moreland's 23 kills marked her third career match of 20 kills or more, and her first 20-plus kill performance of 2013. Julie Consani totaled 54 assists in the match, marking her third match of the year compiling 50-plus assists. Bre Moreland also recorded her third double-double of the year, and Julie Consani contributed her fourth double-double of the year with 16 digs. Holland Crenshaw established a new career high with 11 kills vs. American.
• Cal State Fullerton is holding opponents to an attacking percentage of .152 which leads the Big West Conference.
• The Titans' average of 17.38 digs per set also leads the Big West, and rates ninth in the country.
• Holland Crenshaw's .339 attacking percentage ranks sixth in the Big West Conference, and Alyse Hensley's mark of 3.05 kills per set rates ninth in the league.
• Julie Consani's average of 11.10 assists per set leads the Big West Conference and ranks 24th in the country.
• McKenna Painton's rate of 0.38 aces per set ranks third n the Big West, and her 4.47 digs per set top the league while rating 82nd in the country.
• Julie Consani's 1,424 career assists rank eighth all-time in Cal State Fullerton history.
Senior transfer Alyse Hensley followed up an all-tournament performance at the UNLV Invitational with an MVP effort at the Fullerton Classic. Hensley was named MVP of the tournament after averaging 3.14 kills per set and attacking at a rate of .337. She added a team-leading eight service aces along with 34 digs and nine blocks while totaling back-to-back double-doubles last Saturday.
McKenna Painton was also named to the Fullerton Classic all-tournament team after averaging 4.31 digs per set and adding five aces.
Bre Moreland was named to the Lone Star Showdown all-tournament team after averaging 3.22 kills and 4.78 digs per set. In addition Paige Reed was named to the Lone Star Showdown all-tournament team after averaging 4.67 digs per set.
2013 BIG WEST PRESEASON POLL
For the second straight year, the University of Hawai'i has been selected as the Big West Conference's top pick in the women's volleyball preseason poll, as selected by the nine league coaches. The Rainbow Wahine were a unanimous favorite, collecting all nine first-place votes en route to an 81-point total. Cal State Fullerton finished in seventh place with 35 points.
Entering her 12th season at Cal State Fullerton, Carolyn Zimmerman possesses an all-time record of 169-174 (.493). The sixth head coach in Fullerton's 37-year history, Zimmerman is the winningst (.493) head coach in CSF volleyball program history.