Titans Travel to No. 5 USC Friday
No. 5 USC (8-1) vs. Cal State Fullerton (7-3)
Galen Center | Los Angeles, Calif.
Friday, Sept. 20- 7 p.m. PT
Series Record: USC leads, 22-0
Last Meeting: W, 3-1 (Aug. 28, 2010 | Galen Center)
Current Streak: Won 22| Last 10 Meetings: 10-0
Cal State Fullerton (7-3) vs. American (10-0)
Titan Gym | Fullerton, Calif.
Sunday, Sept. 22 - 1 p.m. PT
Series Record: First Meeting (dating back to 1980)
THE WEEK AHEAD
Cal State Fullerton has concluded its three-week run playing in tournaments, and this week will play two matches in Southern California. On Friday (7:00 p.m.), the Titans travel to the Galen Center to play No. 5 USC - Fullerton's first ranked opponent of the season. Fullerton will return to Titan Gym at 1 p.m., Sunday to host American. Fullerton's match against the Eagles is the Titans' final non-conference match until opening Big West Conference play at Hawai'i on Friday, Sept. 27.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (CSUF.Athletics), Twitter (@FullertonTitans) and YouTube.com (YouTube.com/csfathletics). In addition, the volleyball team has established its own official Twitter page (@FullertonVB).
CATCH ALL THE ACTION
Television - None
Streaming Video - A live video stream of Friday's match at USC is available on www.usctrojans.com.
A live video stream of Sunday's match vs. American is available on www.fullertontitans.com.
Audio Webcast - A live audio stream of Friday's match at USC is available on www.fullertontitans.com.
A live audio stream of Sunday's match vs. American is available on www.fullertontitans.com.
Live Stats - Live in-game stats for both matches are available at www.fullertontitans.com.
Tickets can be purchased online at www.FullertonTitans.com, or at the Cal State Fullerton Athletics Ticket Office, which is located in the Titan House on campus off of Gymnasium Drive on the northeast side of Titan Gym. Game day sales and will call tickets will open an hour prior to the scheduled time at the specific venue.
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE WEEK AHEAD
• No. 5 USC (8-1) opened the season on a six-match winning streak and last week entered the week at the top of the American Volleyball Coaches Association top-25 poll. The Women of Troy were upset by San Diego last Friday, losing in four sets at the USD Tournament. USC responded by defeating UC Santa Barbara (3-1) and Eastern Washington (3-0) to close the tournament. Elise Ruddins leads USC averaging 3.68 kills per set.
• The meeting will be the 23rd all-time between USC and Cal State Fullerton (dating back to 1976), with the Trojans winning all 22 matches.
The programs last met on Aug. 28, 2010 in Los Angeles, as USC won in four sets. The Titans went on that season to win the Big West Conference championship and compete in the NCAA Tournament.
• American (10-0) is one of 12 teams in the country currently with an undefeated record. In 10 matches played, the Eagles have swept nine of their opponents. Kristyna Lindovska leads American averaging 3.62 kills per game.
• In 2012, the Eagles (21-11, 11-3) lost in the Patriot League title game, missing out on chance to compete in the 2012 NCAA tournament.
RECAPPING THE LONE STAR SHOWDOWN
• The Titans' six-match winning streak (Aug. 31-Sept. 13) was their longest since Fullerton completed the 2010 regular season on an eight-match winning streak.
• The Titans' 6-2 start to the 2013 campaign was the best for the program since 2009, when the squad opened the year 6-2.
• During the team's six-match win streak, Fullerton won 18 of 20 sets.
• Holland Crenshaw set and matched a career best in back-to-back victories. The sophomore form Santa Barbara, Calif., totaled 10 kills in a five-set win over Wake Forest on Sept. 7, and matched that total with a second 10-kill performance vs. Nevada last Friday.
• Six of Cal State Fullerton's seven wins have been sweeps.
• Julie Consani's 1,343 career assists rank eighth all-time in program history. Consani needs 153 more assists to surpass Stacey Stanek as her total of 1,495 assists ranks seventh in Fullerton history.
• Cal State Fullerton is holding opponents to an attacking percentage of .141 which leads the Big West Conference.
• The Titans' average of 17.26 digs per set also leads the Big West, and rates 13th in the country.
• Holland Crenshaw's .336 attacking percentage ranks sixth in the Big West Conference, and Alyse Hensley's mark of 3.12 kills per set rates 10th in the league.
• Julie Consani's average of 11.32 assists per set leads the Big West Conference and ranks 21st in the country.
• McKenna Painton's rate of 0.38 aces per set rank fourth in the Big West, and her 4.42 digs per set top the league while rating 91st in the country.
Senior transfer Alyse Hensley followed up an all-tournament performance at the UNLV Invitational with an MVP effort at the Fullerton Classic. Hensley was named MVP of the tournament after averaging 3.14 kills per set and attacking at a rate of .337. She added a team-leading eight service aces along with 34 digs and nine blocks while totaling back-to-back double-doubles last Saturday.
McKenna Painton was also named to the Fullerton Classic all-tournament team after averaging 4.31 digs per set and adding five aces.
Bre Moreland was named to the Lone Star Showdown all-tournament team after averaging 3.22 kills and 4.78 digs per set. In addition Paige Reed was named to the Lone Star Showdown all-tournament team after averaging 4.67 digs per set.
2013 BIG WEST PRESEASON POLL
For the second straight year, the University of Hawai'i has been selected as the Big West Conference's top pick in the women's volleyball preseason poll, as selected by the nine league coaches. The Rainbow Wahine were a unanimous favorite, collecting all nine first-place votes en route to an 81-point total. Cal State Fullerton finished in seventh place with 35 points.
Entering her 12th season at Cal State Fullerton, Carolyn Zimmerman possesses an all-time record of 169-172 (.496). The sixth head coach in Fullerton's 37-year history, Zimmerman is the winningst (.496) head coach in CSF volleyball program history.