July 20, 2005
FULLERTON, CA -- -
No. 9 seed Utah State defeated No. 8 seed Cal State Fullerton in a close 4-3 match in the first round of the Big West Women's Tennis Championships at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Thursday.
The Aggies captured the crucial doubles point to start out the match after winning at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Lindsey Bennion and Carolyn Stephens were 8-5 victors over Carla Rocha and Mai-Ly Tran at No. 1, while Andrea Barker and Courtney Anderson defeated Caroline Freeman and Chip Dunbar 8-4 at No. 3.
The two teams split the six singles matches down the middle, but the deciding point came at the No. 3 slot. It took three sets, but Stephens edged out Rocha 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 to lead USU to the victory. Barker was a 6-2, 6-2 winner over Freeman at No. 5 and Lauren Monson outlasted Dunbar 6-3, 6-4 at No. 6. For the Titans, Ruya Inalpulat, Gina Le and Tran notched victories at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4, respectively.
Utah State improved to 12-11 on the year while Cal State Fullerton fell to 6-15. The Aggies move on to face top-seeded Pacific in the quarterfinals on Friday at 11:00 a.m. (PDT). The Titans play UC Riverside for ninth place on Friday at 5:00 p.m. (PDT).
Utah State (4) vs. Cal State Fullerton (3)
1. Bennion/Stephens (USU) def. Rocha/Tran (CSF), 8-5
2. Le/Inalpulat (CSF) def. Smith/Monson (USU), 8-4
3. Barker/Anderson (USU) def. Freeman/Dunbar (CSF), 8-4
1. Ruya Inalpulat (CSF) def. Lindsay Bennion (USU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Gina Le (CSF) def. Jill Smith (USU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Carolyn Stephens (USU) def. Carla Rocha (CSF) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
4. Mai-Ly Tran (CSF) def. Courtney Anderson (USU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Andrea Barker (USU) def. Caroline Freeman (CSF) 6-2, 6-2
6. Lauren Monson (USU) vs. Chip Dunbar (CSF) 6-3, 6-4