April 30, 2010
INDIAN WELLS, CA - The 2010 regular season for the Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team came to a close on Friday morning as the Titans were swept, 4-0, by top-seeded Long Beach State in the second round of the Big West Conference women's tennis tournament in Indian Wells, Calif.
Fullerton ends its season at 4-16 overall, having its three match winning streak snapped. The 49ers, looking for their seventh consecutive Big West title, improved to 18-5 overall and advances to Saturday's semifinals against either No. 4 Cal Poly or No. 5 Cal State Northridge.
Long Beach State did not drop a set en route to winning the match, claiming the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles by the scores of 8-2 and 8-1, respectively, for the early 1-0 lead.
The 49ers then moved on to win at the No. 2, No. 4, and No. 6 singles positions in straight sets to clinch the victory, losing only five games in the process.
BIG WEST TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
INDIAN WELLS TENNIS GARDEN
WOMEN'S SECOND ROUND
LONG BEACH STATE (4), CAL STATE FULLERTON (0)
1. Alawi/Manasse (LBSU) vs. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) - DNF
2. Armstrong/Dallara (LBSU) def. Cruz/dela Cruz (CSF) - 8-2
3. Cantlay/Luzar (LBSU) def. Akhmedova/Wiesener (CSF) - 8-1
1. Jaklin Alawi (LBSU) vs. Tiffany Mai (CSF) - DNF
2. Anais Dallara (LBSU) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) - 6-1, 6-2
3. Deborah Armstrong (LBSU) vs. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF) - DNF
4. Rachel Manasse (LBSU) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF) - 6-1, 6-1
5. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) vs. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) - DNF
6. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Lani Agsalud (CSF) - 6-0, 6-0