April 20, 2011
Fullerton, Calif. - Malorie De La Cruz and Karina Akhmedova won the No. 3 doubles match, 8-6, over Angelique Corpuz and Kate Bergeson and that proved decisive as Cal State Fullerton won its final dual women's tennis match of the season, 4-3, over UC Riverside on Tuesday afternoon.
Fullerton immproved to 6-16, 1-7 going into next week's Big West Conference Championships at Indian Wells.
The teams split the six singles matches and split the other two doubles matches.
The No. 2 team of Megan Sandford and Morgan McIntosh won, 8-2, and singles victories went to Tiffany Mai at No. 1, Morgan McIntosh at No. 2 and Megan Sandford at No. 5.
Cal State Fullerton 4, UC Riverside 3
1. Raney/Raney (UCR) def. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) 8-4
2. Sandford/McIntosh (CSF) def. McKay/Sakhakorn (UCR) 8-2
3. De La Cruz/Akhmedova (CSF) def. Corpuz/Bergeson (UCR) 8-6
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) def. Taylor Raney (UCR) 6-3, 6-1
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Nadia Sakhakorn (UCR) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Jamie Raney (UCR) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) 6-1, 7-5
4. Natalie McKay (UCR) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) 6-2, 6-0
5. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Angelique Corpuz (UCR) 6-2, 6-1
6. Kate Bergeson (UCR) def. Malorie De La Cruz (CSF) 6-2, 6-2