April 17, 2009
INDIAN WELLS, CA - The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team lost to UC Riverside 5-0 in the opening round of the Big West Conference Tournament at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, CA on Friday.
The Highlanders (9-10) played too well as they denied the Titans (3-20) the opportunity to advance to the second day of the tournament. Because of the win, the Highlanders have earned the right to take on No. 1 seed Long Beach State, Friday.
In their last meeting on Titan Courts, CSF took the early lead in the match against UCR, after winning two doubles matches. This time the Highlanders turned the tables, and grabbed a 1-0 lead with wins in the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. The final match in the No. 3 spot was called because it wasn't necessary - the doubles point had already been clinched.
CSF top-player Leslie Bullock was a question mark to go after sitting out the final match of the season with an ankle injury, but she felt good enough to go in both the singles and doubles portions of the Big West Conference Tournament.
Bullock's results weren't what she was hoping for in her first ever season-ending championship tournament. In doubles she was slotted in the No. 3 position with Jaycee Cruz, in singles she played in the No. 1 spot.
In singles she took Eynne Oki to three sets a week ago, but this time Oki beat Bullock in straight sets 6-1, 6-3. CSF's No. 2 Shelly Injejikian, No. 3 Cheyenne Inglis, and No. 6 Cruz, each lost in straight sets.
Those losses gave UCR a 5-0 lead in the match. That was enough to clinch the victory for the Highlanders. Karina Akhmedova in the No. 4 position, and Brandy Andrews in the No. 5 position had their singles matches called early because the team match had already clinched. The last time the two teams met, Akhmedova and Andrews each won their match in those positions.
Check back soon for a 2009 season wrap-up of Cal State Fullerton women' tennis.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton 0, UC Riverside 5
1. Erynne Oki (UCR) def. Leslie Bullock (CSF), 6-1, 6-3
2. Donna McCullough (UCR) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-1, 6-2
3. Nadi Sakhakorn (UCR) def. Cheyenne Inlgis (CSF), 6-0, 6-2
4. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) def. Angelique Corpuz (UCR), DNF
5. Brandy Andrews (CSF) def. Roxanne Plata (UCR), DNF
6. Anna Higane (UCR) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF), 6-3, 6-0
1. Oki/Plata (UCR) def. Injejikian/Inglis (CSF), 8-2
2. McCullough/Corpuz (UCR) def. Akhmedova/Andrews (CSF), 8-4
3. Bullock/Cruz (CSF) def. Sakhakorn/Higane (UCR), DNF