Lions Roar Past Titans
March 18, 2009
FULLERTON, CA - With two players out and another trying to play through pain, the Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team had its hands full against the Columbia Lions (4-7) in a 7-0 non-conference loss on Titan Courts, Wednesday.
The injuries continue to plague the Titans (3-13, 0-5) this season. Leslie Bullock could only play doubles, Cheyenne Inglis couldn't play at all, and Shelly Injejikian wasn't able to make it through the second set of her singles match. The ailments forced CSF head coach Bill Reynolds to put a lineup out on the court that hasn't competed together all-year-long.
Two of the injured Titans teamed up in No. 1 doubles, with the ankle injury to Inglis sidelining her for the match against the Lions. Bullock and Injejikian played together three times prior to Wednesday's match with Nina Suday and Natasha Makarova - going 1-2 as a team. Despite being injured they put up a good fight, but went down 4-8.
Brandy Andrews and Jaycee Cruz played Columbia's Carling Donovan and Marlena Hall in their usual No. 2 doubles position. They didn't have much luck against the Lions though, losing by a 0-8 margin.
For the second time this season Karina Akhmedova and Lani Agsalud took the court together. The first time they couldn't do a lot against UC Davis, but this time their play complimented each other nicely, earning them the only match win for the Titans, with an 8-5 victory over Natalia Christenson and Eliza Matache.
After that the Titans wouldn't win any more matches against the strong squad from Columbia. The injuries to Bullock and Inglis pushed everyone up one spot, and the combination of injuries and players playing out of position took its toll, and was just too much for the Titans to overcome - in this match and throughout the 2009 season.
CSF women's tennis takes on Amherst College Friday, March 20 on Titan Courts at 1:30 p.m. in a non-conference match.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton 0, Columbia University 7
1. Natasha Makarova (CU) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-0, 3-0, retired
2. Nicole Stanziola (CU) def. Karina Akhemdova (CSF), 6-0, 6-1
3. Eliza Matache (CU) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF), 6-3, 6-0
4. Carling Donovan (CU) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF), 6-2, 6-3
5. Marlena Hall (CU) def. Lani Agsalud (CSF), 6-0, 6-0
6. Nina Suda (CU) def. Kathleen Doran (CSF), 6-2, 6-2
1. Suda/Makarova (CU) def. Bullock/Injejikian (CSF), 8-4
2. Donovan/Hall (CU) def. Andrews/Cruz (CSF), 8-0
3. Natalia Christenson/Matache (CU) def. Agsalud/Akhemdova (CSF), 8-5