March 14, 2009
SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA - The Titans can't seem to shake the injury bug even when they head out on the road. The CSF women's tennis team (3-11, 0-4) lost its top two players to injuries in a 6-1 Big West Conference loss to Cal Poly (8-4, 4-2) on Mustang Courts in San Luis Obispo, CA on Saturday afternoon.
In doubles Injejikian and Cheyenne Inglis kept things close in their 8-4 loss in the No. 1 position match against Brittany Blalock and Steffi Wong. The Mustangs won the other two doubles matches and took the team point lead 1-0 heading into singles play.
Karina Akhmedova scored the lone Titans point when her opponent from Cal Poly, Amy Markhoff, retired in the first set of their match. Akhmedova won the first point and was 1-0 when the match was called.
Bullock's hip pain caused her to pull out of her match with Suzie Matzehauer in the No. 1 singles position after losing the first set 0-6 and falling behind 0-3 in the second set.
Injejikian also went down 0-6 in the first set of her singles match, but was forced to retire due to injury trailing 0-1 in her No. 2 position match with Maria Malec.
Cheyenne Inglis moved up to the No. 4 singles position for the match against Cal Poly after playing the last few at the No. 6 spot, but the move didn't translate into a win against Shannon Brady. Inglis would go on to lose the match 1-6, 2-6.
The Titans get set to play at UC Santa Barbara in a Big West Conference match Sunday at 1 p.m.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton 1, Cal Poly 6
1. Suzie Matzenauer (CP) def. Leslie Bullock (CSF), 6-0, 3-0, (retired)
2. Maria Malec (CP) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-0, 1-0, (retired)
3. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) def. Amy Markhoff (CP), 1-0, (retired)
4. Shannon Brady (CP) def. Cheyenne Inglis (CSF), 6-1, 6-2
5. Steffi Wong (CP) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF), 6-2, 6-2
6. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF), 6-0, 6-2
1. Brittany Blalock/Wong (CP) def. Inglis/Injejikian (CSF), 8-4
2. Markhoff/Matzenauer (CP) def. Andrews/Cruz (CSF), 8-1
3. Diane Filip/ Whitney Peterson (CP) def. Akhmedova/Bullock (CSF), 8-0