March 8, 2008
FULLERTON, CA - Cal State Fullerton freshman Erin Wiesener and sophomore Jerusha Cruz each won their singles matches on the day, but visiting Portland handed the host Titans a 5-2 defeat on Saturday afternoon at the Titan Courts.
Fullerton fell to 2-9 overall on the year.
Wiesener defeated the Pilots' Megan Sporndi in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot while Cruz handed Anna Gullickson a 6-1, 4-6 (10-8), defeat at the No. 3 spot to account for the Titans' two points on the day.
Portland swept all three doubles matches, but the Nos. 2 and 3 matches were hotly contested. Cruz and Wiesener narrowly fell to Jenna Tanzer and Stefanie Doolittle, 9-8, while Breanna Stowell and Brandy Andrews were edged at the No. 3 spot by Gullickson and Audree Jenks, 9-7.
The Pilots then clinched the match, winning their four singles contests in straight sets.
Fullerton returns to the courts on Tuesday (March 11) at 2 p.m. as the Titans host Texas State.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Portland (5) at Cal State Fullerton (2)
1. Erin Wiesener (CSF) def. Megan Sporndi (POR), 6-3, 6-2
2. Lindsey Griffin (POR) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-3, 6-3
3. Jerusha Cruz (CSF) def. Anna Gullickson (POR), 6-1, 4-6 (10-8)
4. Christina Feyen (POR) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF), 6-2, 6-0
5. Jenna Tanzer (POR) def. Breanna Stowell (CSF), 6-2, 6-1
6. Stefanie Doolittle (POR) def. Lani Agsalud (CSF), 6-0, 6-0
1. Griffin/Sporndi (POR) def. Akhmedova/Injejikian (CSF), 8-4
2. Doolittle/Tanzer (POR) def. Cruz/Wiesener (CSF), 9-8
3. Gullickson/Jenks (POR) def. Andrews/Stowell (CSF), 9-7