Women's Tennis Edges Out UC San Diego, 4-3
March 2, 2011
FULLERTON, CA - The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team rallied from an early loss in doubles play to clinch four singles victories Wednesday afternoon, lifting the host Titans to a 4-3 victory over UC San Diego at the Titan Courts.
Fullerton improved to 3-8 overall on the season and 3-2 during its current six-match homestand that concludes on Saturday (March 5) at 11 a.m. against the University of Portland. The Tritons fell to 3-4 overall with the loss.
The Titans were put in an early hole as sophomore's Tiffany Mai and Monica Rodriguez teamed up for the team's only win in doubles play at the No. 1 spot, defeating the duo of Taskeen Bains and Haley Perrotte, 8-5. UCSD then cruised to an 8-3 win at the No. 3 spot before claiming a close win at the No. 2 spot as Cindy Dao and Jacquelyn Davis posted an 8-6 victory over Morgan McIntosh and Megan Sandford to clinch the doubles point.
Fullerton then turned it up a notch in singles play, posting four straight straight set wins to clinch the match. Mai and McIntosh posted wins at the top of the ladder, with the former defeating Bains, 7-5, 6-2, and the latter avenging her doubles loss with a 6-4, 6-0, win over Dao.
Karina Akhmedova won at the No. 4 spot, defeating Davis, 6-3, 6-2, and Rodriguez defeated Katie Mulloy, 6-4, 6-0.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (4) vs. UC San Diego (3)
1. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) def. Bains/Perrotte (UCSD), 8-5
2. Dao/Davis (UCSD) def. McIntosh/Sandford (CSF), 8-6
3. Mulloy/Pourmirzaie (UCSD) def. Akhmedova/dela Cruz (CSF), 8-3
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) def. Taskeen Bains (UCSD), 7-5, 6-2
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Cindy Dao (UCSD), 6-4, 6-0
3. Samantha Yeung (UCSD) def. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF), 6-2, 4-1 (ret.)
4. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) def. Jacquelyn Davis (UCSD), 6-3, 6-2
5. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) def. Katie Mulloy (UCSD), 6-4, 6-0
6. Roxanna Pourmirzaie (UCSD) def. Megan Sandford (CSF), 2-6, 7-6 (10-6)