Feb. 24, 2011
FULLERTON, CA - Cal State Fullerton freshmen Morgan McIntosh and Megan Sandford both claimed singles victories against visiting Loyola Marymount Thursday afternoon, but it wasn't enough as the Lions won the match, 5-2, on the Titan Courts.
McIntosh defeated Elisaveta Pironkova, 6-3, 6-2, at the number two singles spot and Sandford followed with a, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2, win over Ashley Anderson at the number five spot.
LMU (2-5 overall) jumped out to the early lead claiming the doubles point, with wins at the number one and number two spots. Fullerton (2-8 overall) made it close with a win at the number three doubles spot as Karina Akhmedova and teammate Malorie dela Cruz defeated Shauna Morgan and Melissa Valenzuela, 8-3.
The Lions then went on to claim four singles victories, three in straight sets en route to the 5-2 win. The Titans were close to a third point at the number three singles spot as dela Cruz and Valenzuela split the first two sets, 5-7, 6-2, before Valenzuela claimed the tiebreaker, 10-8.
Fullerton will return home on Wednesday (Mar. 2) at 2 p.m. as the Titans host UC San Diego.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton (2) vs. Loyola Marymount (5)
1. Anderson/Jin (LMU) def. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF), 8-3
2. Pironkova/Rohonyi (LMU) def. McIntosh/Sandford (CSF), 8-4
3. Akhemedova/Dela Cruz (CSF) def. Morgan/Valenzuela (LMU), 8-3
1. April Bisharat (LMU) def. Tiffany Mai (CSF), 6-3, 7-6
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Melissa Valenzuela (LMU) def. Malorie dela Cruz (CSF), 5-7, 6-2 (10-8)
4. Miya Jin (LMU) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF), 6-2, 6-3
5. Megan Sandford (CSF) def. Ashley Anderson (LMU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
6. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF), 6-1. 6-4