Women's Tennis Falls to Cal State Northridge In Big West Opener
Feb. 10, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, CA - The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team (0-3, 0-1) lost 7-0 to Cal State Northridge (1-5, 1-1) in its first Big West Conference match of the season Tuesday at Northridge.
The doubles team of Leslie Bullock and Shelly Injejikian played well in their 8-4 loss to Evgeniya Vertesheva and Brooke Doane. Brandy Andrews and Jerusha Cruz got a little closer in their match against Nina Jaworowski and Nigora Sirojiddinova, but eventually went down 8-5. Karina Akhmedova and Kathleen Doran gave it their all but the team of Whitney Paluch and Julie Onishenko proved to be too much for them, handing the Titans an 8-4 defeat.
The Titans were without their usual top draw Erin Wiesener, causing Head Coach Bill Reynolds to bump everyone else up a spot. The absence of Wiesener also allowed Doran to take the court for the first time in 2009.
The change of draws didn't help the Titans much in singles though. CSF junior Brandy Andrews, playing in the fifth position, was the closest Titans player to earn a set with her 4-6 loss to Paluch.
Injejikian played well in the two spot but couldn't earn the victory against Jaworowski in a 3-6, 2-6 loss.
The Titans return home to face Chapman University on Titan Courts, Feb. 12 at 2 p.m.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
Cal State Fullerton 0, Cal State University Northridge 7
1. Evgeniya Vertesheva (CSUN) def. Leslie Bullock (CSF), 6-1, 6-0
2. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF) 6-3, 6-2
3. Brooke Doane (CSUN) def. Karina Akhmedova (CSF) 6-0, 6-3
4. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Jerusha Cruz (CSF) 6-1, 6-1
5. Whitney Paluch (CSUN) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF) 6-4, 6-0
6. Julie Onishenko (CSUN) def. Kathleen Doran (CSF) 6-1, 6-0
1. Vertesheva/Doane (CSUN) def. Bullock/Injejikian (CSF), 8-4
2. Jaworowski/Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Andrews/Cruz (CSF), 8-5
3. Paluch/Onishenko (CSUN) def. Akhmedova/Doran (CSF), 8-4