LMU Claims 4-1 Win Over Cal State Fullerton in Abbreviated Match
Feb. 8, 2007
FULLERTON, CA - Visiting Loyola Marymount won four of the six singles matches on the afternoon as the Lions rebounded from losing the doubles point to claim a 4-1 victory over Cal State Fullerton on Thursday afternoon at the Titan Tennis Courts.
The Titans' doubles team of Shelly Injejikian and Cheyenne Inglis defeated Serena Fermin and Erin Ivey, 9-7, at No. 2 doubles while Jerusha Cruz and Katrina Domela defeated the LMU duo of Eirien de Villiers and Bliss Nixon, 9-8 (10-8), at No. 3 doubles to claim the doubles point.
The Lions rebounded, however, to win three of the four completed singles matches in straight sets with only the No. 5 singles match between Inglis and Nixon going to a third set, with Nixon emerging with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-0, victory.
Cal State Fullerton hits the road for its next four matches, opening this weekend on Saturday (Feb. 10) with an 11 a.m. match against Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo.
NCAA's WOMEN'S TENNIS
DOUBLES (must win 2 of 3 matches for one team point)
1. Tanner/Mesterova (LMU) def. Le/Tran; 8-6
2. Injejikian/Inglis (CSF) def. Fermin/Ivey (LMU); 9-7
3. Cruz/Domela (CSF) def. De Villiers/Nixon (LMU); 9-8 (10-8)
SINGLES (each worth one team point)
1. Pavla Mesterova (LMU) vs. Gina Le; 6-4, 5-4*
2. Robyn Baker (LMU) def. Mai-Ly Tran; 6-2, 6-2
3. Tamara Tanner (LMU) vs. Katrina Domela; 3-6, 6-1, 5-3*
4. Erin Ivey (LMU) def. Brandy Andrews; 6-0, 6-1
5. Bliss Nixon (LMU) def. Cheyenne Inglis; 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
6. Eirien de Villiers(LMU) def. Shaghig Injejikian; 6-3, 6-4
* match not completed due to darkness