San Diego State Defeats Titans, 6-1
Jan. 20, 2007
San Diego, Calif. -
Courtesy San Diego State sports information...
The 39th-ranked San Diego State women's tennis team kicked off its 2007 dual-match campaign in dominating fashion on Saturday, defeating Cal State Fullerton, 6-1, and UC Riverside, 7-0, in a doubleheader at Aztec Tennis Center.
Battling unusually cool temperatures throughout the day, SDSU caught fire early in its clash with Cal State Fullerton (1-1) by taking all three doubles matches. First off the court was the duo of Kathryn Kitts and Sisse Nielsen, who upended the Titans' Katrina Domela and Brandy Andrews, 8-4. The tandem of Holly Bagshaw and Eliska Krausova then secured the doubles point with an 8-3 defeat of Shelly Injejikian and Cheyenne Inglis.
In singles play, senior Alesya Vidov got things rolling for the Aztecs by overpowering Inglis in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 3 position. Over on the No. 6 court, freshman Ozge Atalay was triumphant in her first dual match for SDSU after taking down the Titans' Andrews, 6-4, 6-0, while sophomore Esther Cadua clinched the victory for SDSU with a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Injejikian at the No. 4 spot.
Fullerton got its only point at No. 1 singles where Gina Le defeated Bagshaw, 3-6, 7-5 and 10-8.
The Titans host Hawaii on Monday on the Titan courts.
No. 39 SAN DIEGO STATE 6, CAL STATE FULLERTON 1
Aztec Tennis Center--San Diego, Calif.
1. Holly Bagshaw/Eliska Krausova (SDSU) def. Shelly Injejikian/Cheyenne Inglis (CSF), 8-3.
2. Alesya Vidov/Esther Cadua (SDSU) def. Gina Le/Mai-Ly Tran (CSF), 9-8.
3. Kathryn Kitts/Sisse Nielsen (SDSU) def. Katrina Domela/Brandy Andrews (CSF), 8-4.
1. Gina Le (CSF) def. No. 51 Holly Bagshaw (SDSU), 3-6, 7-5, 10-8.
2. No. 69 Eliska Krausova (SDSU) def. Katrina Domela (CSF), 6-4, 6-3.
3. Alesya Vidov (SDSU) def. Cheyenne Inglis (CSF), 6-1, 6-1.
4. Esther Cadua (SDSU) def. Shelly Injejikian (CSF), 6-1, 6-2.
5. Sisse Nielsen (SDSU) def. Mai-Ly Tran (CSF), 6-3, 6-4.
6. Ozge Atalay (SDSU) def. Brandy Andrews (CSF), 6-4, 6-0.