FULLERTON, Calif.- The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team dropped a close 4-3 decision to Wyoming on Thursday afternoon at the Titan Tennis Courts.
Once again, the doubles point proved to be the difference as the Titans (5-11) and Cowboys (5-4) split singles play.
Fullerton's No.2 doubles team of Megan Sandford and Alexis Valenzuela earned an 8-2 victory over Christa Gecheva and Alma Espinosa, but that was the only Fullerton tandem that could record a victory as the Titans dropped the point.
In singles action, Valenzuela won her 13th straight singles match, which now ties the single streak record of 13 set by Caroline Freeman back in 2004. The West Covina, Calif., native recorded a three-set 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 win over Veronica Popovici.
The Titans will host New Mexico State in their fourth straight home match on Friday, March 28 at 1:30 p.m. at the Titan Tennis Courts.
Wyoming vs Cal State Fullerton
Mar 20, 2014 at Fullerton, Calif.(Titan Tennis Courts)
Wyoming 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Veronica Popovici (WYO) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) def. Dorottya Jonas (WYO) 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
3. Camille De Leon (CSF) def. Jessica Parizher (WYO) 6-2, 3-6, 4-1
4. Christa Gecheva (WYO) def. Megan Sandford (CSF) 6-2, 6-3
5. Silviya Zhelyazkova (WYO) def. Kalika Slevcoe (CSF) 6-1, 6-2
6. Alena Vasilyeva (WYO) def. Jessica Pepa (CSF) 6-2, 6-2
1. Veronica Popovici/Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. McIntosh/Camille De Leon (CSF) 8-2
2. Megan Sandford/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Christa Gecheva/Alma Espinosa (WYO) 8-2
3. Dorottya Jonas/Alena Vasilyeva (WYO) def. Kalika Slevcoe/Melanie Abella (CSF) 8-3
Cal State Fullerton 5-11
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,5,6,2,1,3)