Valenzuela Picks up Win No. 10, but Titans Fall
SAN DIEGO – Freshman Alexis Valenzuela earned her 10th dual singles victory of the year, but that was the only win Cal State Fullerton earned in Wednesday's 6-1 loss to San Diego at the Skip and Hogan Tennis Center.
Valenzuela (10-3) has now won nine consecutive matches after edging USD's Shani Blecher in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 10-5.
The Titans (3-10), have lost three straight, but will return to the Titan Tennis Courts for five straight home matches beginning at 1:30 p.m., Monday against Colorado State.
San Diego (4-7) swept the doubles point before winning five consecutive singles matches in the lineup.
Valenzuela's No. 1 match was the last of the day to be completed.
Skip and Cindy Hogan Tennis Center
San Diego, Calif.
San Diego 6, Cal State Fullerton 1
1. Shani Blecher/Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Morgan McIntosh/Camille De Leon (CSUF) 8-6
2. Anna Depenau/Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Kalika Slevcove/Alexis Valenzuela (CSUF) 8-4
3. Idil Haciraifoglu/Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) def. Megan Sandford/Melanie Abella (CSUF) 8-5
1. Alexis Valenzuela (CSUF) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 6-4, 4-6, 10-5
2. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSUF) 6-1, 6-0
3. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Camille De Leon (CSUF) 6-1, 6-1
4. Colomba Di Filippo (USD) def. Megan Sandford (CSUF) 6-2, 6-0
5. Idil Haciraifoglu (USD) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSUF) 6-0, 6-4
6. Mikayla Morkel-Brink (USD) def. Jessica Pepa (CSUF) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1); Singles (2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 1)
San Diego, 4-7
Cal State Fullerton, 3-10