Titans Can’t Hold On at LMU
LOS ANGELES – The Cal State Fullerton women's tennis team held the lead after winning the doubles point at Loyola Marymount, but the Titans fell short with only two victories in singles action suffering a 4-3 loss at the LMU Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
After Fullerton's (1-5) No. 3 doubles team lost the first match of the day, the Titans' No. 1 team of Morgan McIntosh and Camille De Leon evened the doubles competition recording an 8-6 win over Miya Jin and Ellie Grossman.
After the first three singles matches had completed, Fullerton held a 3-1 lead as Valenzuela (3-3) defeated Jin, 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2 in the lineup. De Leon (4-2) also scored a singles victory, knocking off 97th-ranked Lauri Mueller, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 3 in the lineup.
After dropping a match at the No. 1 spot, the Titans also suffered losses in the bottom three spots. Grossman came back from a 6-2 loss in the first set to defeat Rebekkah Ermac 6-2, 6-3 in the final two sets at No. 5 in the lineup.
Fullerton's Slevcove also suffered a close 7-5, 7-6 loss to Rohonyi at the No. 4 position in the lineup.
The Titans have now lost four matches in a row. Fullerton returns to action on Thursday hosting Big West Conference rival UC Irvine at the Titan Tennis Courts at 1:30 p.m.
LMU Tennis Center
Loyola Marymount 4, Cal State Fullerton 3
1. Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-0, 6-0|
3. Camille De Leon (CSF) def. #97 Lauri Mueller (LMU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF) 7-5, 7-6
5. Ellie Grossman (LMU) def. Rebekkah Ermac (CSF) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Julia Norlin (LMU) def. Jessica Pepa (CSF) 6-3, 6-3
1. Morgan McIntosh/Camille De Leon (CSF) def. Miya Jin/Ellie Grossman (LMU) 8-6
2. Kalika Slevcove/Alexis Valenzuela (CSF) def. Reka Rohonyi/Lisa Piller (LMU) 8-3
3. Lauri Mueller/Kristine Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Jessica Pepa/Rebekkah Ermac (CSF) 8-1
Cal State Fullerton 1-5
Loyola Marymount 2-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,1,3,6,5,4)