INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - No. 4 seed Hawai'i won a hard fought 4-1 match over Cal State Fullerton to conclude Big West Women's Tennis Championship quarterfinal action at Indian Wells Tennis Garden Friday.
The Rainbow Wahine went the distance to grab the doubles point. After winning at No. 1, Cal State Fullerton rebounded to win in the No. 3 draw. UH's Martina Kostalova and Rebecca Faltusz cemented the point when they defeated Morgan McIntosh and Kalika Slevcove, 8-4, at the No. 2 slot.
UH extended its lead to 2-0 as Kostalova breezed to a 6-1, 6-0 win against Slevcove at No. 3. The Titans got on the board with a win at No. 1, riding the play of senior Tiffany Mai and her 6-2, 6-2 victory versus Xenia Suworowa.
At No. 6, Faltusz gave the Rainbow Wahine a 3-1 edge as she beat Rebekah Ermac 6-2, 6-3.
The match ended at No. 5 where Daguio won a three-set battle against Megan Sandford – 6-2, 0-6, 6-4.
The Titans challenged the Rainbow Wahine at the two positions with unfinished matches. Katarina Poljakova was up one set and led 5-4 in the second against McIntosh. Paulina Petriskova and Monica Rodriguez were even at a set apiece with Rodriguez leading 3-0 in the third.
UH improved to 6-14 on the year and advanced to Saturday's semifinals at 9:00 a.m. against top-seeded UC Irvine. The Titans finished their season at 11-14.
The Titans' 11 wins are the most victories for the program since the 2004 team finished the year with a mark of 12-10.
BIG WEST TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
INDIAN WELLS TENNIS GARDEN
(4) Hawai'i 4, (5) CAL STATE FULLERTON 1
1. Suworowa/Poljakova (UH) def. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) - 8-0
2. Kostalova/Faltusz (UH) def. McIntosh/Slevcove (CSF) - 8-4
3. Sandford/Ermac (CSF) def. Daguio/Petriskova (UH) - 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Tiffany Mai (CSF) def. Xenia Suworowa (UH) - 6-2, 6-2
2. Katarina Poljakova (UH) vs. Morgan McIntosh (CSF) – DNF
3. Martina Kostalova (UH) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF) - 6-1, 6-0
4. Paulina Petriskova (UH) vs. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) – DNF
5. Kelsey Daguio (UH) def. Megan Sandford (CSF) - 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
6. Rebecca Faltusz (UH) def. Rebekah Ermac (CSF) - 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 6,