FULLERTON, Calif. – No. 56 UC Santa Barbara dealt Cal State Fullerton its second straight loss as the Titans couldn't take advantage after winning the doubles point in a 5-2 loss in Santa Barbara on Sunday afternoon.
Fullerton (7-8, 2-3 Big West) took a 1-0 lead after clinching the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3, but the Titans couldn't capitalize, losing five singles matches to the Gauchos (10-4, 2-1 Big West).
The team of Tiffany Mai and Monica Rodriguez earned its fifth win of 2013, defeating Erica Cano and Priscila Garcia, 8-1, at the top of the lineup. Emilia Borkowski and Megan Sandford then won their fifth match of the year, getting past Paola Cos and Stacy Yam, 8-5, at No. 3.
But in singles play, Borkowksi was the only Titan with a win. The freshman improved to 10-5 in 2013 with a 7-6 (5), 6-1, victory over Garcia at the No. 4 spot.
Cal State Fullerton returns to the Titan Tennis Courts for its next seven matches. The Titans will host George Washington at 2 p.m., on Tuesday, before conference rival UC Davis visits at noon on Saturday.
1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Tiffany Mai (CSF), 6-4, 6-4
2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Morgan McIntosh (CSF), 7-5, 6-4
3. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF), 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. Emilia Borkowski (CSF) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB), 7-6 (5), 6-1
5. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Kalika Slevcove (CSF), 6-1, 6-3
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Megan Standford (CSF): 6-3, 6-3
1. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) def. Cano/Garcia (UCSB), 8-1
2. Meehan/Scatliffe (UCSB) def. McIntosh/Slevcove (CSF), 7-6 (2)
3. Borkowski/Standford (CSF) def. Cos/Yam (UCSB), 8-5