Homestand Begins Saturday with Cal Poly on ESPN3
Weekly Release (PDF)
Cal State Fullerton begins a four-game homestand on Saturday, hosting Cal Poly at 5 p.m., as part of a doubleheader with the Cal State Fullerton men's basketball team.
For the second time this season, a Cal State Fullerton women's basketball game will be broadcast on ESPN3. Tim Becwar will handle play-by-play duties while Dave Miller will serve as the analyst.
Cal State Fullerton encourages its fans to wear pink to Saturday's game vs. Cal Poly as the Titans will host one of many Women's Basketball Coaches Association Play4Kay games across the country to raise awareness for women's cancers. Fans will also receive pink wristbands upon admission.
• The Titans' four overall wins in 2016-17 have eclipsed Fullerton's three wins from a season ago.
• Cal State Fullerton (4-19, 1-9) is currently ninth in the Big West Conference standings, a 1/2 game behind UC Irvine as the Titans try to break into the top eight for a spot in the Big West Conference Tournament.
• The Titans enter Saturday's game on a six-game losing streak.
• Fullerton currently has eight players available for game action.
IN THE BIG WEST AND MORE
• Iman Lathan is averaging 15.9 points per game, ranking third in the Big West Conference. She has led the Titans in scoring on 14 occasions this season and has reached the 20-point plateau nine times.
• Sophomore center Daeja Smith's .522 field goal percentage ranks fourth in the Big West Conference and her 7.7 rebounds per game rate third. In addition, Smith's 1.3 blocks per game rank third in the Big West.
• Senior center Dhanyel Johnson averages 6.9 rebounds per game to rank seventh in the Big West.
• The Titans have been outscored 444-318 in the third quarter this season.
• Over the last seven games, Daeja Smith has averaged 10.7 points and 8.4 rebounds per game while shooting 50.0 percent from the floor.
• Fellow sophomore guard Jade Vega has averaged 9.1 points and 2.6 assists per game over the last seven contests.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11 VS. CAL POLY || 5:00 PM
Series Record: CSF leads 28-26 (at CSF: CSF leads 18-9)
Big West Series Record: Cal Poly leads 23-15 (at CSF: CSF leads 11-9)
First Meeting: W, 66-31 (Feb. 1, 1970) || Fullerton, Calif.
Last Meeting: L, 63-57 (Feb. 18, 2016) || Fullerton, Calif.
Current Streak: Lost 2 || Last 10: 3-7
CAL POLY NOTES
• Cal State Fullerton has played every Big West Conference opponent at least once except for Cal Poly. Saturday will mark the first game between the two teams this season.
• Mustang forward Hannah Gilbert became the 13th player in school history to surpass the career 1,000-point mark on Jan. 28. She now has 1,029 points for her career — four back of the program's No. 10 all-time scorer, Kellie Hoffman, who scored 1,033 from 1992-96.
Keimeshia Walker has left the women's basketball program and Cal State Fullerton to pursue other opportunities.
Fullerton returns to the floor with just one starter from last year, 5-foot-5 sophomore guard, Jade Vega. In total, the Titans return only three letterwinners with sophomore guard Lauren Nubla and senior center Dhanyel Johnson back on the floor.
2017 RECRUITING CLASS
The Cal State Fullerton women's basketball team welcomed four commits to the program as high school seniors Laura Dalton, Xinavane Foreman, Carolyn Gill and Mason VanHouten each signed National Letters of Intent to begin their respective collegiate careers at Fullerton for the 2017-18 season, it was announced by fourth-year head coach Daron Park on Nov. 16.
Junior guard Iman Lathan averaged 23.7 points over three games to earn Big West Women's Basketball Player of the Week honors on Dec. 6.The native of Temecula, Calif., led the Titans in scoring in all three games as they went 2-1 overall. For the week, Lathan averaged 6.7 rebounds and 1.3 steals in addition to leading the Titans in scoring. She also got to the free throw line extensively, making 17 of her 27 attempts.
LAST TIME OUT
Long Beach State led from start to finish in an 84-55 victory over Cal State Fullerton at Walter Pyramid on Thursday night in Big West Conference action.Jessica Gertz scored a game-high 29 points, shooting 9-of-21 from three-point range for LBSU. As a team, Long Beach State made 20 buckets from long distance, shooting at a clip of .444 from behind the arc. Gertz's nine treys set a new individual single-game record for the 49ers, while the team's 20 treys matched a single-game record. Jordan Jackson led the Titans in scoring for the second-straight game shooting 6-of-12 from the floor en route to a 15-point effort. Daeja Smith added 12 points for Fullerton, while Iman Lathan chipped in 12 off the bench. Senior Dhanyel Johnson pulled down a game and career-high 15 rebounds.
The Titan Kids Club presented by Kaiser Permanente is an exclusive membership club for children in 8th grade and younger. Membership includes a Titan Kids Club T-shirt and free admission to all regular season Titan athletic events plus more (child must wear their Titan Kids Club shirt to receive free admission to games.) Read about the Kids Club HERE.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's basketball team has established its own official Twitter page (@WBBTitans) and Facebook Page (WBBTitans).
CATCH THE TITANS
Cal State Fullerton home women's basketball games will be broadcast live over the internet at FullertonTitans.com courtesy of Big West TV. Fans can catch all the exclusive action from the comfort of their home computers. To access the links, click on the audio or live video links on the schedule page.