Cal State Fullerton at Long Beach State
Thursday, Feb. 9 | 7:00 p.m
Long Beach, Calif. | Walter Pyramid
Live Video: FullertonTitans.com
Live Audio: FullertonTitans.com
Live Stats: FullertonTitans.com
Weekly Release (PDF)
Cal State Fullerton ends a three-game road swing at Long Beach State on Thursday night as the Titans are still looking for their first win on the road (0-10) this year. The Titans will return to Titan Gym - for the start of a four-game homestand - to host Cal Poly at 5 p.m. as part of a doubleheader with the Cal State Fullerton men's basketball team on Saturday.
TWO FOR ONE TIX
• $11 reserved seats are currently available for the Cal State Fullerton men's basketball game vs. Long Beach State on Saturday. Fans that purchase tickets will also receive a ticket to the women's game vs. Cal Poly at 5 p.m. Both games will be broadcast on ESPN3. Sale ends at noon on Friday.
Cal State Fullerton encourages its fans to wear pink to Saturday's game vs. Cal Poly as the Titans will host one of many WBCA Play4Kay games across the country to raise awareness for breast cancer.
• The Titans' four overall wins in 2016-17 have eclipsed Fullerton's three wins from a season ago.
• Cal State Fullerton (4-18, 1-8) is currently ninth in the Big West Conference standings, while Long Beach State (16-8, 7-2) trails league-leading UC Davis by half a game.
• Fullerton currently has eight players available for game action.
IN THE BIG WEST AND MORE
• Iman Lathan is averaging 16.1 points per game, ranking third in the Big West Conference. She has led the Titans in scoring on 14 occasions this season and has reached the 20-point plateau nine times.
• Sophomore center Daeja Smith's .519 field goal percentage ranks fourth in the Big West Conference and her7.9 rebounds per game rate third. In addition, Smith's 1.4 blocks per game rank third in the Big West.
• Senior center Dhanyel Johnson averages 6.5 rebounds per game to rank 10th in the Big West.• The Titans have been outscored 423-307 in the third quarter this season.
• Over the last six games, Daeja Smith has averaged 10.5 points and 9.0 rebounds per game while shooting 44.2 percent from the floor.
• Fellow sophomore guard Jade Vega has averaged 9.3 points and 2.5 assists per game over the last six contests.
THURSDAY, FEB. 9 AT LONG BEACH STATE || 7 PM
Series Record: LBSU leads 69-35 at LBSU: LBSU leads 33-12
Big West Series Record: LBSU leads 48-15 (at LBSU: LBSU leads 22-9)
First Meeting: W, 53-37 (March 17, 1970) || Fullerton, Calif.
Last Meeting: L, 65-48 (Jan. 26, 2017) || Fullerton, Calif.
Current Streak: Lost 6 || Last 10: 2-8
LONG BEACH STATE NOTES
• Anna Kim highlighted the Beach's 68-63 win over UC Irvine on Saturday at the Bren Events Center as she became the 25th player in LBSU program history to reach the 1,000-point milestone.
• LBSU currently sits in second, a 1/2 game back of UC Davis, in the Big West Conference standings.
• Fullerton has lost six straight to Long Beach State, with the Titans' last win, a 71-55 victory, on March 1, 2014, in Long Beach.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11 VS. CAL POLY || 5:00 PM
Series Record: CSF leads 28-26 (at CSF: CSF leads 18-9)
Big West Series Record: Cal Poly leads 23-15 (at CSF: CSF leads 11-9)
First Meeting: W, 66-31 (Feb. 1, 1970) || Fullerton, Calif.
Last Meeting: L, 63-57 (Feb. 18, 2016) || Fullerton, Calif.
Current Streak: Lost 2 || Last 10: 3-7
CAL POLY NOTES
• Cal State Fullerton has played every Big West Conference opponent at least once except for Cal Poly. Saturday will mark the first game between the two teams this season.
• Mustang forward Hannah Gilbert became the 13th player in school history to surpass the career 1,000-point mark on Jan. 28. She now has 1,029 points for her career — four back of the program's No. 10 all-time scorer, Kellie Hoffman, who scored 1,033 from 1992-96.
Keimeshia Walker has left the women's basketball program and Cal State Fullerton to pursue other opportunities.
Fullerton returns to the floor with just one starter from last year, 5-foot-5 sophomore guard, Jade Vega. In total, the Titans return only three letterwinners with sophomore guard Lauren Nubla and senior center Dhanyel Johnson back on the floor.
2017 RECRUITING CLASS
The Cal State Fullerton women's basketball team welcomed four commits to the program as high school seniors Laura Dalton, Xinavane Foreman, Carolyn Gill and Mason VanHouten each signed National Letters of Intent to begin their respective collegiate careers at Fullerton for the 2017-18 season, it was announced by fourth-year head coach Daron Park on Nov. 16.
Junior guard Iman Lathan averaged 23.7 points over three games to earn Big West Women's Basketball Player of the Week honors on Dec. 6.The native of Temecula, Calif., led the Titans in scoring in all three games as they went 2-1 overall. For the week, Lathan averaged 6.7 rebounds and 1.3 steals in addition to leading the Titans in scoring. She also got to the free throw line extensively, making 17 of her 27 attempts.
LAST TIME OUT
UC Santa Barbara seized the lead from Cal State Fullerton during a third-quarter run, and the Gauchos never slowed down en route to a 57-37 victory at The Thunderdome on Wednesday night.Fullerton held a five-point, 22-17, lead at the half, and extended that lead to 29-23 with 4:29 to play in the third quarter after a Jade Vega lay-up, but that lead quickly evaporated.The Gauchos ended the third quarter on a 13-1 run as UCSB shot 4-of-7 from the floor – draining two three-pointers - while the Titans turned the ball over once and missed on six attempts. The run was part of a third quarter that saw UC Santa Barbara outscore Fullerton 19-8.Leading 36-30 to start the fourth, the Gauchos did not slow down, outscoring Fullerton 21-7 in the game's final 10 minutes as UC Santa Barbara scored 40 points in the second half.
The Titan Kids Club presented by Kaiser Permanente is an exclusive membership club for children in 8th grade and younger. Membership includes a Titan Kids Club T-shirt and free admission to all regular season Titan athletic events plus more (child must wear their Titan Kids Club shirt to receive free admission to games.) Read about the Kids Club HERE.
SUPPORT THE TITANS!
Fans can purchase tickets for various Cal State Fullerton athletic events by visiting FullertonTitans.com/Tickets. The Athletic Ticket Office can also be contacted by phone at 657-278-2783 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Ticket Office is located at the Titan House off of Gymnasium Drive at the eastern end of the Intramural Fields and is open from 10 am – 4 pm PT, Monday – Friday.
FOLLOW THE TITANS
Fans can keep up with the latest in Titans athletics by following us on Facebook (FullertonTitans), Twitter (@FullertonTitans), and Instagram (@FullertonTitans) and Snapchat (FullertonTitans). In addition, the women's basketball team has established its own official Twitter page (@WBBTitans) and Facebook Page (WBBTitans).
CATCH THE TITANS
Cal State Fullerton home women's basketball games will be broadcast live over the internet at FullertonTitans.com courtesy of Big West TV. Fans can catch all the exclusive action from the comfort of their home computers. To access the links, click on the audio or live video links on the schedule page.