THIS WEEK: After having the past weekend off, the Cal State Fullerton men's golf team returns to the links after finishing second at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate in Pullman, Wash., on Sept. 9-10. This upcoming week the team travels to Boise, Idaho to participate in the Dash Thomas Memorial Tournament hosted by Boise State. Fullerton will be one of ten teams competing in the two-day tournament on Sept. 23-24.
THE COURSE: This week's event will be held at the 6,890-yard BanBury Golf Course in Eagle, Idaho and will play at Par 71 for the tournament. Teams will play 36 holes during Monday's first round (Sept. 23) and concludes with 18 holes on Tuesday (Sept. 24). Play begins at 7:30 a.m. PT on Monday, while the final round begins at 7 a.m. PT.
THE FIELD: Competing alongside the Titans and Broncos, will be squads from Concordia, Grand Canyon University, Idaho, Sacramento State, Seattle, Southern Utah, Utah Valley, and Weber State.
RESULTS: Please visit Fullertontitans.com for scores as they become available. Complete results will be posted on Boise State's athletic website at Broncosports.com and at Fullertontitans.com at the end of each day and the conclusion of completion. There will be no live scoring for this event.
IN THE RANKINGS: Cal State Fullerton is ranked No. 48 in the nation according to the Golfstat.com NCAA Head-to-Head rankings, which makes the Titans the highest ranked team entering the tournament. The field features two teams ranked in the top 100: Idaho is No. 68, Southern Utah is No. 100, Utah Valley is No. 110, Sacramento State is No. 135, Grand Canyon University is No. 198, and Weber State is No. 201. Boise State, Concordia, and Seattle are not ranked on the golfstat.com website.
FIRST TRIP TO IDAHO: The Titans head to Idaho for the first time since the program was reinstated in 2009. Last season, Fullerton played in three tournaments outside of California finishing in fourth, eighth, and 12th place. (Washington, Hawaii, Arizona)
ITANI QUALITY HOMES COLLEGIATE: The Cal State Fullerton men's golf team made a late rally to top the leaderboard, but fell just one stroke short of Washington State at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate on Sept. 9-10. The Titans shot 837 (-2) over two days of play.
Senior Mark Anguiano was the highest finishing Titan, after shooting a third round 65 on Tuesday (Sept. 10) and finishing six-under par overall. Anguiano finished tied for third overall after shooting 204.
Senior Corey Gard shot a final round 71 (+1) to finish tied for fifth place with a total score of 207. He shot a 4-under, 66, in round one and an even-par, 70, in the second round. Junior Ryan Tetrault finished strong for the Titans, finishing tied for fifth overall with a total score of 207. Redshirt senior Scott Rubzin shot a 223 overall to finish tied for 55th overall. Josh Park finished the tournament tied for 65th with an overall score of 225.
Mark Anguiano (3):
70 (E) – 1st Round – Itani Quality Homes Collegiate, Sept. 9, 2013
69 (-1) – 2nd Round – Itani Quality Homes Collegiate, Sept. 9, 2013
65 (-5) – 3rd Round – Itani Quality Homes Collegiate, Sept. 10, 2013
Corey Gard (2):
66 (-4) – 1st Round – Itani Quality Homes Collegiate, Sept. 9, 2013
70 (E) – 2nd Round – Itani Quality Homes Collegiate, Sept. 9, 2013
Ryan Tetrault (2):
67 (-3) – 2nd Round – Itani Quality Homes Collegiate, Sept. 9, 2013
68 (-2) – 3rd Round – Itani Quality Homes Collegiate, Sept. 10, 2013
Making his Mark: Mark Anguiano shot a third round 65 at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate in Pullman, Wash., on Sept. 10. The 65 shot by Anguiano was the best individual round since John San Juan shot a 65 at the Del Walker Invitational on Oct. 22, 2009.
- Scott Rubzin returned to action for the Titans after missing the entire 2012-13 season. The redshirt senior shot a 223 (+13) to finish tied for 55th. Rubzin tallied seven birdies and nine bogeys in his first tournament since 2011.
- The Titans improved a lot from 2012 to 2013 in the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate. In 2012, playing the same course at Par 72, Fullerton finish 38-over par compared to three-under par at Par 70.
- Mark Anguiano, Corey Gard, and Ryan Tetrault all set new career 54-hole tournament bests at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate. Anguiano shot a 204, while Gard and Tetrault both recorded a 207 overall score.
- Anguiano's 204 overall score also sets the Fullerton record for lowest 54-hole individual score since the program was reinstated in 2009. Undergraduate assistant coach Dakota Duerr set the previous record with a score of 207 at last season's Del Walker Intercollegiate in Long Beach, Calif.
- Fullerton set a new lowest 54-hole team score at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate. Over two days, the Titans shot a 837, which breaks the previous best score of 849 at the Del Walker Intercollegiate on Feb. 25-26, 2013.
- After finishing tied for third, Anguiano has now recorded 12 top-ten finishes in his career, tying him with Dakota Duerr for the most since the program was reinstated in 2009.
- The Titans will travel to the Bill Cullum Invitational for their next tournament in October. The tournament hosted by Cal State Northridge will be the fifth consecutive year the Titans have participated in the event.
A LOOK AT THE TITANS: Fullerton returns four of its golfers that were in the lineup for the 2013 Big West Conference Championships, including senior Mark Anguiano, who earned All-Big West First Team honors last season. Senior Corey Gard and junior Ryan Tetrault also return after receiving All-Big West Second Team accolades in 2013. The Titans will have to replace four-year starter Dakota Duerr, but redshirt senior Scott Rubzin returns to the lineup after missing last season due to an injury. Fullerton welcomes four newcomers to the fold this season in freshman Kyle De Silva (Orange, Calif./Villa Park HS), Martin Manalo (West Covina, Calif./Servite HS), Matt Murphy (Trabuco Canyon, Calif./Santa Margarita Catholic HS), and Hunter Thompson (Richland, Wash./Richland HS).
SEASON SCHEDULE: Cal State Fullerton's 2013-14 campaign features ten tournaments before the Big West Championship and NCAA Regionals. The Folino Invitational will again highlight the Titans season. The fourth annual Folino Invitational has became one of the premier collegiate golf events and will be hosted at the Industry Hills Golf Club in the City of Industry, Calif., on Feb. 16-18. Fullerton will also head to various states this season, including Arizona, Idaho, and Hawaii.
SEASON PREVIEW: Entering his fifth season, head men's golf coach Jason Drotter sat down with FullertonTitans.com to preview the 2013-14 men's golf season.
A LOOK BACK AT 2012-13: The Titans, a program reinstated in 2009, claimed its first conference championship in school history last season. The team eventually lost to Pacific in a playoff to clinch an automatic NCAA berth, but the Titans ended its most successful season winning two tournaments and finishing second in three tournaments (Firestone Grill, Sacramento State Invite, Anteater Invite). Head coach Jason Drotter was named the 2013 Big West Coach of the Year, while four student-athletes took home All-Big West honors.