Second-Half Rally Carries Titans to Road Win

Second-Half Rally Carries Titans to Road Win

Nov. 22, 2006

Box Score

San Antonio, TX - Marcus Crenshaw scored 20 points and logged the game-clinching rebound and free throw Wednesday afternoon as Cal State Fullerton rallied from a 17-point deficit to defeat Texas-San Antonio, 67-63.

The win improved the Titans' record to 3-0 for the second year in a row and left UTSA at 1-4.

Kenneth Alexander's short bank shot off a brilliant assist from Justin Burns put the Titans ahead to stay at 64-63 with 51 seconds to play. Melvin Smith missed two free throws for UTSA and Ray Reed made a pair for Fullerton with 30 seconds left. Smith missed a jumper and Crenshaw got the rebound and made the first of two free throws to ice the win with 3.5 seconds left.

Burns scored six quick points to open the second half and get the Titans back into the game after trailing 28-11 with 6:27 to go in the first half and 40-27 at intermission.

UTSA held a 50-39 lead with 13:56 to play but Fullerton went on a 12-0 run. Chris Minardo's 3-point basket cut the gap to 50-49 and Burns gave Fullerton its first lead of the game at 51-50 with two free throws.

After Isaiah Allen hit a trey for UTSA, the Roadrunners stretched the lead to as many as 4 points on a couple of occasions. Crenshaw's third 3-pointer of the game made it 61-60. Burns offset a basket by Allen to set the stage for Alexander's only bucket of the game.

"Justin Burns really stepped it up in the second half," said Head Coach Bob Burton. "He showed leadership and got us back in the game. I was very discouraged by our play in the first half. We got in early foul trouble and had to go to a zone and they cut that up. We don't work on it that much.

"Being able to stay in the man-to-man in the second half was key. We concentrated more on containment than pressure on the perimeter and it made a difference."

UTSA shot 57 percent from the floor in the first half but only 25 percent (8 of 32) after intermission. The Titans went the other way, improving to 62 percent in the second half after 37 percent in the first 20-minute period. The Titans committed 22 turnovers but only one in the final 9 minutes.

Burns picked up his second double-double of the year with 16 second-half points and 11 rebounds. Andrew Green came off the bench for 8 points and 8 rebounds in 17 minutes before fouling out. Reed had 12 points despite a slow start.

Keith Spencer had 16 points for UTSA in the first half but was scoreless in the second half, missing all 3 field goals and all 3 free throws. Allen led the Roadrunners with 16 points while Smith had 15.

The Titans avenged a loss last year to UTSA in which it squandered a 7-point halftime lead.

The Roadrunners play the next home game for Fullerton on Dec. 2.

The Titans travel tomorrow to Lafayette to play the University of Louisiana on Friday night and then end the road trip with a Monday night game at Eastern Washington.


For questions or to purchase your ticket(s):

BUY TICKETS ONLINE |(657) 278-2783|